Internal Error: 7204, 7323980, 4767519, 4739018
Lena Hanson
2009-03-25 10:49:03 UTC
FrameMaker 7.2b128
Windows XP
I get the error when I try to change the height of an anchored frame. I have one anchored frame on each page. The first one was OK to change. Then FM crashed without any warning on all the others. If I copied the first frame to the other pages, that worked fine. I am just wondering what's wrong...

Lena
Sweden
S***@adobeforums.com
2009-03-25 15:19:23 UTC
Lena, it sounds like a problem that was fixed in one of the later patches for FM. 7.2b128 is very, very old and there are two patches for it -- see here:
<http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=22&platform=Windows>

Also, be sure to install all patches in sequence, as FM patches are not cumulative "roll-up".
Lena Hanson
2009-03-27 10:50:51 UTC
Thanks Sheila. Installed the mentioned upgrades and it worked fine for a day. Now I get another type of Internal Error, it has happened twice in a row now. Still no recovery file produced, but now I at least get a message about an internal error (before the program just shut down).

Internal Error: 7204, 7339250, 7306877, 7315819
FrameMaker 7.2.0 for Intel
Build: 7.2p158
Window System: MSWindows
Operating System: Windows NT 5.1 (major.minor.build: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3)
Generated on: den 27 mars 2009 11:47:13
Art Campbell
2009-03-27 11:54:35 UTC
Lena, what are your system specs?
RAM, OS, amount of free space on your local drive, and where the files are stored-- local or server?
And what's in the anchored frames?

Art
Lena Hanson
2009-03-27 12:23:59 UTC
Art,

RAM: 2,5 gb
OS: Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP3 build 2600
Free space on C: 129 of 148 gb
Files are stored on server, 130 gb of 273 gb free

The anchored frames are empty for now, pictures are going to be added later. The first error message came when I tried to resize an anchored (empty) frame. Same error on different pages. Second error message came when I tried to increase space above a table with three cells, one of them containing a small eps-file, the other two empty for now. This has happened twice so far. I now save after every action, wich means I can never undo anything...

Greatful for help!!
Lena
Art Campbell
2009-03-27 12:58:05 UTC
Lena,

Are the anchored frames' anchor points in text, or in an empty paragraph that simply anchors them?

Is there any hiddden conditional text in use?

Has any of the content in the file been imported from other programs? Maybe text from Word?

Art
Lena Hanson
2009-03-27 14:11:00 UTC
Art,

The anchor points are in empty paragraphs.
No hidden conditional text.
No import.

The page consists of 2 tables side by side.
Then one empty line.
Below this one page-wide tablecell with notations.
One empty line.
An empty anchored frame (to fill out the page).
One empty line.
A table cell with three cells, two empty and one with a picture.

Lena
Lena Hanson
2009-03-27 14:17:28 UTC
Got it again... tried to paste a copied table cell.... This is typical, I am on a deadline and I don't have time for this!!
Lena Hanson
2009-03-27 14:56:46 UTC
Got a couple of more crashes, different actions. Opened the same document in a colleagues computer, same problem. Could the files be damaged? How can I find the fault? I made one document, and then opened it and saved it by another name. Fixed the numbers and saved that. So from the first document (wich I didn't have any crashing problems with) I have created the other 8 I have. It seems like a serial problem, but I can't create each document from scratch, it would take too long. Much of the data is the same.

Anybody have an idea of what I should do? The crashes gives me heart palpitations...

Lena
S***@adobeforums.com
2009-03-27 16:01:41 UTC
Lena, one way to "clean" files that may be corrupt is to

1) make a backup copy of your original files.

2) save the problem file as MIF (in the File > Save As dialog box, choose MIF (Maker interchange format).

3) open the MIF file and save it again as a binary .fm file

This often cleans out gremlins.
Lena Hanson
2009-03-28 07:31:42 UTC
Thank you Sheila, that seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. It's Saturday, and I am at work due to a dead-line, and I have now finished the document that I couldn't do anything with yesterday. SO THANK YOU!! I thought I had to redo it from scratch....

Lena in Sweden
Lena Hanson
2009-04-01 05:44:00 UTC
Now everything is crashing... I can't even open the files anymore. The deadline is close and I am having a nervous breakdown...
S***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-01 15:39:40 UTC
Lena, I'm almost certain the problem is that you copied anchored frames as you mentioned in your first posting. FM assigns a unique ID number to everything it calls "an object" and for whatever reason copying frames has always been a bit error-prone, in my experience, which I attribute to ID number discrepancies. The UID number has to match up in multiple locations in the file, and somehow copying and pasting anchored frames mangles this process.

Saving as MIF usually forces FM to clean up errors in this unique ID numbering, but if you happen to be doing it over and over, or in multiple files, you could be compounding the error.

The only workaround I can suggest is to remove the anchored frames, save the files so you have a good starting point, and then create each frame individually.
S***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-01 16:24:03 UTC
Lena, there's an undocumented step called "heroic open" that will sometimes open problem files. What it does is bypass some of the checking that FM normally does when it opens files.

Open FM. Create a new, empty FM file and leave it open in FM (without this file being open, the next steps will not work properly).

Then type the following keys in sequence (without quotes, of course):

"ESC" "o"

then hold Shift down and type "h". The Open dialog should pop up and let you select one of the problem files.

If the file can be opened, then immediately save it again, preferably under a new name. I would also suggest saving it again as a MIF file, too, just for added security.

Sheila
Lena Hanson
2009-04-02 05:03:38 UTC
Thanks again Sheila. I will start with re-doing all the anchored frames. That's easy :)
S***@adobeforums.com
2009-04-02 15:37:56 UTC
Drat, despite my best efforts I now realize that the steps listed above weren't very clear. The "ESC" means "hit the Escape key"